February 12, 2007

6-Traits Voice: Quotations found by the group...

AUTHOR: Alexander Pope (1688–1744) QUOTATION: Truths would you teach, or save a sinking land? All fear, none aid you, and few understand. Submitted by Sharon

Put your whole self into it, and you will find your true voice. Hold back and you won't. It's that simple. ~Hugh Macleod (Submitted by Eryn)

And the day came
when the risk it took
to remain tight inside the bud
was more painful
than the risk it took to blossom.

Anais Nin


I love this quote, and it seems to suit many students, having soooo much to say and perhaps struggling with the risks they perceive in the classroom.

And another thought....I had a thought earlier about having my ninth grade students head to the elementary school library to check out books by Dr. Suess for the day, read them aloud to play around with voice. (Submitted by Deborah)

"Who can confidently say what ignites a certain combination of words, causing them to explode in the mind? Who knows why certain notes in music are capable of stirring the listener deeply, though the same notes slightly rearranged are impotent? These are high mysteries." - E.B. White (Submitted by Kathy)

"Good writing is supposed to evoke sensation in the reader--not the fact that it is raining, but the feeling of being rained upon." E.L. Doctorow (Submitted by Sheryl)

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." Pudd'nhead Wilson Mark Twain (Submitted by Adam)

The important thing is being capable of emotions, but to experience only one's own would be a sorry limitation. Andre Gide (Submitted by Nancy)

Change your thoughts and you change your world. ~Norman Vincent Peale US clergyman (1898 - 1993)

I changed my thoughts on "Voice" this week and thought this appropriate. I'm feeling like I can change the world of my classroom! (Submitted by Terese)

"Let one who wants to move and convince others, first be convinced and moved themselves. If a person speaks with genuine earnestness the thoughts, the emotion and the actual condition of their own heart, others will listen…" -Thomas Carlyle

I've been considering the sincerity factor of the Voice rubric while reading the online papers. It's pretty hard to fake. But when we do sense it in writing, can we be sure it's genuine? I guess if we're fooled, it's a sign of successful (if dishonest) writing. Sincerely, submitted by Paul

"Some men come into your life....and screw it up forever" from Janet Evanovich - opening line in her book/series "One For the Money"

To me this says VOICE. And it is also why I bought the book. (Submitted by Eliz

I have never thought of writing for reputation and honor. What I have in my heart must come out; that is the reason why I compose. Ludwig van Beethoven (1770 - 1827) (Submitted by Mary)

Don't tell us the old lady screamed. Bring her on and let her scream. Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) ~Submitted by Mark

An Englishman is a person who does things because they have been done before. An American is a person who does things because they haven't been done before. Mark Twain

I think we are all willing to try new methods in our classrooms! ~Shirley

No comments: